Meethe Chawal Cooking Recipe (Zarda)
A few saffron (kesar) strands
1 1/4 cups long grained (basmati) rice
2 tbsp ghee
1 small stick cinnamon (dalchini)
2 cloves (laung / lavang)
1 tbsp milk
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup blanched and sliced almonds and pistachios
- Dry roast the saffron strands in a small pan for 10 seconds. Add the milk and keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Put 2½ cups of water to boil.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and rice and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the saffron mixture, sugar and hot water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Separate each grain of rice lightly with a fork.
- Serve hot garnished with the mixed nuts. via